Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bagpipes and Cabers

 
Hi! Oh my god, I am a horrible blogger.  Seriously, I think every possible blog post I've thought about starting the in the last year (and obviously didn't write) started this way.  Well, lots has happened and at the same time, nothing much.  I'll just jump in to random pictures and do something and screw chronological order of events.  Thank goodness, I'm not a linear person.  I was in Colorado over the summer and fall, and they just happen to have a Scottish Fair there.  Naturally, I went.  I mean, bagpipes and caber tosses, how can I resist.





When I was a kid, we always went to the Scottish Fair in St. Paul.  It was held at Macalester College forever.  Then one day it wasn't, it was else where and I don't think I went again.  But I digress, it was a grand time.  The food was amazing, bagpipes, sheep dogs, and the highland games.  The games were always my favorite part, they still are.  I mean, I'd love to pick the brain of the first guy to toss the caber. How do you decided that tossing log (basically the size of a telephone pole) is a good idea.  It's a fantastic idea.




The night before I went to The Long's Peak Scottish Irish Highland Fest I went to one of many bagpipe tattoos.  I'd never been to one before and it was amazing.  They had several pipe bands including two that had just competed for best in the world, the army, navy and marines were there.  It was great fun.  And it's pretty much a fact of life that on some level everyone loves a bagpipe band.  Don't even bother denying it.









At the fair, I spent a large amount of time watching the highland games.  It's as much fun as I remembered.  Here they had an ongoing games, I'm sure there was some qualifying, some events, and definitely some attempts to break records.  All the different groups were competing at the same time.  This was different than what I was used to.





























And some videos.  The Caber toss one is sideways, and I don't know how to fix it. So just watch it with your head cocked.






No comments:

Post a Comment