Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Monday, November 1, 2010

Petals: Yellowstone National Park


Sorry Micaela, I have to, I can't post about flowers without Y'stone.  It would be a tragic omission.  So as much as I don't want to, here is my petals entry about Yellowstone.  Yellowstone has some pretty awesome things in it, bears, mountain bluebirds, forest fires, and some awesome flowers. 







Probably my favorite flower in Y'stone is fireweed.  But sadly I don't have a good picture that I can find. :( It is such a pretty color, and it makes the dead fall, and burned areas look really cool the summers following a fire.  Yellowstone burns every year, in some area.  Usually it is a bunch of little fires, since 1988 at least.  But I have worked in the park for some pretty big ones.  It is always interesting to see the park the following years, to see the burn area, and the subsequent recovery.





 



The fun thing about Yellowstone flowers is that you never know what you are going to get.  There is a wide variety of flowers in the park, and sometimes they only show up for a short span of time.  Things like lily pads, I had never seen so many until Yellowstone.  Now in the spring, I expect to see them.  (I get them near home too now).  Yellowstone has ruined me.  But that was a good thing!


2 comments:

  1. My favorite are indian paintbrush, or the giant white dandylions (which really aren't dandylions, but I don't know what they actually are)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those too.
    I had so many pictures to pick from, it was hard to pick my favorites!

    ReplyDelete