Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Adventures in Soap Making

In my final semester of accounting, we had to do this humongous big project.  The project was for my evil and dreaded cost accounting class.  Seriously it is hell.  We had to "start" a business, manufacture and sell a product.  It is kinda the capstone of our education, I guess. So kinda important.  We are in the middle of it.  Which brings me to this post.  My group decided to make handmade soap.  Yep, hand made bar soap.  It was pretty cool.  I'd do it again, except that whole lye thing, kinda scares me.  So our company is call Eu-Reek-A Bar Soap, and there are 4 employees.  I am the vice president of marketing, I get to try and be creative.  It is kinda fun.  So, yeah back to the soap. I'm not gonna go through the whole process, I did make a nice flow chart that none of you want to see, so I'll get on with this post.


It started as these things usually do, a discussion about what scents to use, where no one actually wanted to make that decision.  We were all pretty acquiescent to each others choices.  Somehow, we settled on two scents, lavender mint and lemon poppy seed.  The lemon poppy seed was pretty much me. (Favorite scent other than peach blossoms)  There was some exact measuring of scents, and then the combining of lye and water.  After that it stayed outside to cool and we heated up the all the oils.  The goal was to get the oil and lye to the same temperature.  Once that happened, they were combined they were then stirred with an immersion blender until they got the proper thickness.













Then came the fun part, we added different powders to the mixture, this was to give our soaps a swirly pattern, then the texture was added.  Oatmeal was added to the lavender mint, and the lemon as you might imagine had poppy seeds added.  Lastly the fragrance oils were added, and then we stirred 20 times in each direction.  Once this was finished we poured the mix into molds and it sat over night and was then cut into bars.  Pretty neat huh?  Even if I kinda bored you will all the details.


Lemon Poppy Seed
Lavender Mint

No comments:

Post a Comment