Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Sunday, April 3, 2011

House on the Rock

So I went to the House on the Rock today in Wisconsin.  Honestly I am not sure how I felt about it.  Part of it was really cool and amazing artwork, woodwork, and design.  Then there was the creepy (really the only word I can think of that fits) parts.  The collections, the mechanical musical things.  And then there was the carousel and whale.  I really don't know about it, cause they both fit the dichotomy of the house.







It is overwhelming.  The sheer size alone, and then add the thousands of items, the long twisting pathways and it is almost inconceivable to soak it all in. There are parts that you could stay in for hours and not see everything, and parts that you want to run through and just glance at everything.







The house was apparently but to stick it to Frank Lloyd Wright.  It is in a Japanese style.  The pathways twist and turn though the house.  It is actually very amazing.  The infinity room sticks out over the rocks and bluff face.  The sides were all windows and it got narrower and narrower until it came to a spot where you could look down.  I am not sure what held it up, cause it sure don't look like anything is.  And every gust of wind could be felt.  But the view was amazing!




The pathways continued winding and we entered the collection's part of the house... It was more museum than house, but I am sure it is technically a house... There was the street of yesteryear, which ended with a big ole calliope.  This was kinda cool, the street was filled with shops and and toys, Faberge eggs (apparently there is real and fake stuff all mixed together).  A bunch of mechanical musical things, and those old timey/carnival games.



 
Then went entered the sea room, this had a ridiculously large and I mean room sized whale fighting an octopus.  Yeah, I was confused too...







Then we went to another room with cars, trains, some sign in German telling the idiots not to touch but look at the pretty lights.  And of course a little cafe.  Continuing on, we saw a bunch of doll houses and and dolls, and then there was the carosul, the largest apparently, and there is not one horse on it.  Then we entered what I believe was supposed to be a giant still.  Once again, I am not really sure why.  There was a mini world tour, a doll carousel, and a really creepy circus section.


 









So yeah, not sure how I felt about it, but I honestly can't say I am planning on going back anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment