Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Old Faithful Moment

Old Faithful


Ok, so I felt that last one was a bit somber, or maybe too personal, I don't know.  It just didn't hate the tone that I like to maintain in this.  Maybe it was a wistfulness.  But lets move on to something I never thought I'd fall for.  Geysers.  Sure like everyone you see it and you go "oooh" "ahhh", but after awhile it is like ehh, whatever.  But then you see one you never seen before, or and old classic in a different light and all of a sudden you are "ohhing" and "ahhing" again.  It is a pretty neat cycle.





Great Fountain
Castle













Cliff

Old Faithful from Observation Point
So this totally happened to me.  I was all jaded on old Faithful, maybe it was more of an act than I let on.  Hell I don't even think I'd been in the Park for more than a season or two at that time but it is kinda a park thing, unless you are geyser gazer then you are like meh old faithful.  I'd seen it several times by then and honestly as far as geyser go it is average.  Everything about it is average, it is not oldest, newest, tallest, shortest, longest, quickest, most frequent, but it is the most known.  And it is centrally located and it does that every 90 minutes give or take 10 thing.  Which makes it popular.  So as I was saying I had my "oooh" "aaah" moment one night.  It was a full moon.  A big one that totes lit up the entire basin, and to see Old Faithful in the moonlight like that was breathtaking.

Old Faithful again
Old Faithful in Winter
















Beehive (I think)
So there you have it my old faithful moment.  Don't get me wrong, I still don't go out of my way to see it when I am in the park, if you miss it you miss it... chances are it will erupt again sometime in the next two hours.  The winter eruptions are kinda the same way.  They are neat to see because of all the steam and the fact that they sometimes freeze before the geyser water hits the ground.  Hosting one morning, all you could see was steam after Old Faithful erupted- crazy!  I saw Grand Geyser a few times in the winter, talk about amazing.  Somethings never get old.

No comments:

Post a Comment