Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Thursday, March 3, 2011

In a Canyon



New Mexico.  I have mixed feelings about New Mexico.  I had a great trip there once, I went to Chaco Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell and a bunch of places.  It was great.  But the 1st visit, I had let myself get pretty dehydrated, and was sick as a dog. (BTW where does that phrase come from anyways?)  So I didn't get anywhere.  Spent the day at a hotel being miserable and the vacation was over at that point.  Wasn't interested to seeing anything at that point.




























So I went to the desert with my parents after my 1st Snow Lodge.  I was looking for warmth, and didn't find it.  Well, there was that day in Roswell.  But that was about it.  The wind.... the wind in New Mexico is crazy and cold.  Even though it was windy, Chaco Canyon was pretty hot.  But because of the wind, it wasn't unbearable.  I am not a hot weather climate kinda of girl, but I can deal in the short term.












A Great Kiva











Chaco Canyon is a mystery.  At least that is what they told me.  It is chalk full of Ancestral Puebloan Great Houses.  And they are all aligned with each other, even though they are miles apart.  Not only that, they are aligned with the solstices, the solar and lunar cycles.  It is crazy!  No one is quite certain as to what purpose Chaco was created for, was it a ceremonial area, was it something else?  Much like the amount of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know.






















I love this part of the south west, the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde, Chimney Rock, Hovenweep, they are all so amazing and beautiful.  You can feel the history at these sites.  The emotional imprint (if you believe in that sort of thing) is intense.  The place really speaks for itself. 



















Oh and I don't have a picture, but the stars were amazing.  And I have been in many of the few remaining dark spots, but I don't know if I've ever seen a more amazing display.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your Chaco Canyon trip! I need to go there soon!

    ReplyDelete