Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Coulson Gulch: First Hike of the Summer



I went hiking today, since I am here writing this it means I survived it.  It nearly killed me though, I am not as the greatest of shape, not completely used to this altitude.  That is what killed me the most, the altitude, I can suffer though normally, but there were times I was almost sick.  Not fun, but the destination was well worth the journey!







It was a nice hike, in a brutal gonna die sorta why, yes I am melodramatic sometimes, sue me!  It started downhill, always a scary thought, cause it means you'll be tired going up hill.  We crossed a stream bunches of times, it was awesome, the stream kept getting wider though.  Then there was a great up hill part, made it though that fine, didn't even rest till I was almost up.  I bought up the rear for most of, if not all of, the hike.  That's fine by me, slow and steady, slow and steady.  After the group rested for a few, we hit the second, steep downhill part.  This part was pretty steep, and rocky, so I took my ever lovin time on it, last thing I wanted was a turned ankle.



I didn't really start taking pictures until the destination, but I did get some on the way back, I was resting a lot more by this time.  But I digress, after the steep down hill part, and the super wide stream we crossed on a thin little log, thankfully some one remember to bring hiking sticks, we all needed the help.  We went through a long beautiful meadow.  There was rolling parts at this point, nothing too steep, and then we were there, the river, words cannot describe how beautiful of a day, place, everything it was!





We hung out for maybe an hour, just soaking it the day.  Some climbed rocked, took pictures, I was more of the latter.  Talked and just enjoyed nature at its finest.  I totally brought up the rear on the way back, I felt kinda bad.  They'd wait a bit, then continue.  Finally we got to the steep part.  The altitde was starting to get to be at this point.  I was a bit nauseous.  I sat there for a few more minutes, with Will and Mark.  They, both far more adverntuous than I, hung back with me the whole way, and I cannot thank them enough for it.  I'd go up a bit then need a break, the nausea was returning.  Eventually, I went further at a time, but still stopping to make sure I would catch my breath.  I was very hungry at this point, and that was zapping my enery like nothing.























 


We finally made it, I got a larabar, it was the best freakin' thing I've ever eaten!  Went back to the dorms and had supper and it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment