Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Monday, May 23, 2011

Water Along the Gorge

I was going through some pictures last night, and chatting with a new friend online about some, and he mentioned Multnomah Falls.  I've posted a bit on waterfalls before, but haven't really given the Columbia Gorge its due.  Fall 2009, I road tripped through Oregon and our last leg in Oregon was The Gorge.  We were really just passing through, but we made sure that we took the Columbia River Highway.  It is amazing, the views, the waterfalls, Vista House, it was so much fun to drive.





















If you've never been to the Columbia Gorge, go there!  There is a lot to see and do, next time I am there, I have a feeling I am gonna spend way more than just a day and a half there.  But if you only have a short time, then do what I did, the Columbia River Highway and The Dalles Discovery Center- I am serious- go there- NOW if you can! Trust me on this...








I guess if I am gonna try and force you to visit it I can at least give you a bit more about it.  It is lush, green, beautiful and there are tons of waterfalls, wineries, etc.  We stopped at as many waterfalls as we could, I like them.  First up was Vista house- so cool, and so much bigger than you'd imagine, great little museum, awesome views!  The first falls was Latourell Falls.  This was a really little hike but so worth it. And not much further down the road was our next waterfall!
























Bridal Veil is the next one.  In my opinion that is the most common name for waterfalls.  Come on people get a little creative or I am revoking your naming rights!! I am serious, but in all honesty I can see why it is used, as it is quite descriptive.  This was another short hike, a little more wooded as it followed along a stream.  It looked like it was part of a much longer trail, I guess I'll find out when next I go back!  Next up... Wahkeena Falls!


















Wahkeena Falls was right off the side of the road, it was a long rocky water fall, I liked it.  It tumbled down! After Wahkeena was Multnomah but we'll skip that one for a bit and move on to Horsetail Falls which was the last one we stopped at.  Also just off the road, it was a great drop into a pretty neat little pond.







 
Multnomah Falls, it is crazy just how gorgeous this waterfall is.  It was raining (of course) but if we would have had more time, I would have hike up to the bridge.  But nothing I can type will describe just how spectacular it is.





See!












No comments:

Post a Comment