Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wild Hearts! Wild Horses!

I've always wanted a horse.  I love them- everything about them, I just love them.  As a kid I took riding lessons for a while, I was a trail guide for a bit.  I might not have every been great, but I was pretty good, and I enjoyed it so much.  I don't get to be near horses a lot any more.  After we stopped with the lessons, I've probably been riding a dozen or so times.  More recently as my cousin has horses and when ever I go visit we go riding.
























As I headed out to Colorado for the summer (yes back with the seasonal stuff).  But hey there will be amazing pictures and maybe I won't fall back to Yellowstone all the time (who am I kidding, Yellowstone will always have my heart).  I decided, since I was in the area, to stop in Hot Springs South Dakota where they just happen to have the Institute of Range and the American Mustang (IRAM), also know as the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary (BHWHS).  It was awesome and way worth the stop.  I was hoping there would have been foals.




























 It had rained the night before, so I was a little worried that it would be rainy and yucky, but it wasn't.  The BHWHS is about 10 miles south of Hot Springs, a little dirt road takes you there.  It is a gorgeous drive through the southern Black Hills.  It was awesome, I took the 2 hour tour.  You had a bus tour around the property and there were some amazing overlooks and the horse herds were the highlight.  The driver explained a lot of the history about the sanctuary and how the horses came to be there.  Dayton, the founder, wanted a place where American mustangs and other wild horses could run wild.  They do.  Some of the horses seemed very curious about the buses, most didn't care. 













No comments:

Post a Comment