Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Alberta Falls... Alberta Falls...

That Thursday, the other hike I did was to Alberta Falls.  I left from the Glacier Gorge trailhead; not far from Bear Lake.  I was warned by the park service (volunteer??) that the whole trail was still covered in snow.  I wasn't too concerned as it a short hike only .6 miles in and .6 miles out... actually I think it was closer to .9 in and out.  Their signs were sending me mixed messages.  The first .3 miles was pretty dry, and as I came to a bridge over a raging stream I noticed it was snow covered.




























Not really sure of the path, I continued on.  Stopping on a really nice rock to take some pictures, I rested up a bit... I didn't want a repeat of the altitude kicking my ass in this hike.  So I let some people pass me and I got behind a large group of Asian tourists... I kept pace pretty well with them.  It seemed like it took forever.  It probably was because the snow was very intermittent.  It seemed ever 20 feet or so there was a long patch of slushy snow.  It made it that much harder.  Eventually, I got to a canyon.  Still wasn't there, probably about halfway to the destination at that point. 







Oddly enough it was about that time I got the song Alberta Bound in my head.  It is a Gordon Lightfoot song, and my mom and I always sing the Alberta Bound part (that's all we know).  So I continued on.  And came upon this lovely spot on the river, it split in two parts and rejoined itself.  So worth it.  Once again I spent some time on a rock taking pictures, and then, I was getting frustrated, and I told myself that if the falls weren't around the next corner I was turning back.  Thankfully, the falls were there!  And they were so worth the trouble getting there.  And as always it seemed so much easier going back, probably cause it was more downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment