Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Friday, September 24, 2010

Waterfalls, Waterfalls

  So I mentioned in a previous post, that Niagara Falls is on the top of my waterfall list.  In my travels I have seen many of them, I seek them out, there is something awesome about the sheer volume of power they harness.  Something primal, some connection with something greater than I.








Obviously there have been many waterfalls that I have been to, and were too little to remember, or it was just a passing waterfall on the side of the road.  But some have stuck in my memory even without pictures.  And some were so spectacular that I had to try and capture the beauty.



Few points that need to be made:
  1. Niagara Falls, both Horseshoe and the American Falls, are truly awesome
  2. Yellowstone is chalk full of 'em
  3. Columbia Gorge is ridiculously amazing
  4. Yosemite 
Ok, so without spoiling any future Niagara Falls posts, here goes.  Niagara falls was an amazing trip.  I had been wanting to go for quite some time, and had the good fortune to get to go.  It was everything I thought it would be, and so much more.  We stayed in Canada, and spent on afternoon on the American side.  We did just about everything you could do, and still there is stuff I didn't get to.   Between the Maid of the Mist and the behind the falls, it was awesome to see the sheer power of those waterfalls.  That and they light 'em up at night. 


 

 Oh Yellowstone, you can't avoid the waterfalls in Yellowstone.  They range from huge to thin little trickles.  You can drive the East Entrance to Lake from Cody in the spring and they tumble down the side of the mountain along the road.  Standing on the brink the 300+ drop of the Lower Falls in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.  Swimming behind Moose Falls by the Tetons. 













There is a drive through the Columbia Gorge that takes you over some spectacular scenery.  You are a rediculous height from the river, and there is a cool rest stop, that nearly killed me.  Let's just say that walking is not my strong suit.  And from there it takes you past 6 waterfalls.  They are all beautiful and all really close to each other.  Ending with Multnomah Falls, with it's really nifty bridge.















Yosemite, been there once, and I would go there again in a heart beat.  It is one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  I really don't think that I need to say anything more about that.










    No comments:

    Post a Comment