Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring in Yellowstone: Upper Loop

Avalanche Peak


It's an early spring in Minnesota, but I haven't the time or the weather to do a good photowalk around the parks.  I have plans for that later this week of the weather holds.  But I had a sudden urge to go on a walk through Yellowstone in the spring.  My spring was in 2009.  From some of the pictures, there doesn't look to be much of a difference between winter and early spring in Yellowstone.  In fact, but there is!  It's a much less amount of snow and things are starting to thaw!  Oh and bears!!









The spring I spent in Yellowstone was centered out of Lake. I started up in Mammoth, I was there for about a week before they took us down.  I got to do a bit of exploring in this time.  Spring is different by the north gate, it is a much warmer place.  I'll start outside the park in Yankee Jim Canyon.  The Gardiner River flows through Yankee Jim Canyon.





















Back in the park, like I said, got to spend a good enough amount of time in then northern part of the park.  The only road open year round in Yellowstone is the one from Mammoth to Cooke City.  This road runs through Hayden Valley.




















The Golden Gate

















We will head to canyon next and that means we are getting into the interior of the park, and with it more snow!!!! Canyon is completely different depending on the seasons and for sure, spring is no different! I have both rims, but none of the upper falls.
















The Lower Falls


















So, next post will be Lake Yellowstone, Old Faithful and everything in between!

No comments:

Post a Comment