Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Thursday, September 9, 2010

I Think I Like the World Better in the Fall

Fall comes early in the Tetons
Apparently it is fall.  I think it snuck up on me.  Just last week it was ridiculously hot here in southern Minnesota and then one day it rained and it has been lovely ever since.  I am a fan of fall.  It is a great season.  The leaves are achangin' and it is jeans and long-sleeve shirt weather.  That and fall means hockey season is just around the corner and that means winter is in the coming.  Winter means skiing!  And this year, if we get the snow we should, I plan on doing lots of skiing -of both varieties.
Moose Falls YNP



I think autumn is as lovely as the spring.  It is just a different loveliness.  Spring is green and bright colors, new life.  Fall is rich, and bold colors, crisp weather.  I think I have some waiting to do before the leaves start turning, but it is always worth the wait.  If I am lucky, I might be able to head north for a few days in the fall, and catch the color up there first and then down here in my corner of the state.

North Ridge overlooking The Mississippi




Having worked seasonally for several years, until I returned home and eventually found myself back in school, I gained an appreciation for the month of October.  It is the best month to travel in.  You lose the crowds, the weather is usually pleasant.  Yeah, sometimes things are not open or the hours are shortened.  But in the grand scheme of things, you still can travel well.   No place is ever the same, it is true that you can't go back.  But if you go somewhere in the spring and then some later fall, you are going to two different places. 
Wolf Pass Colorado


 The world changes in the fall.  And I fall in love with it every year.  Big fan of blustery days, it reminds me of Winnie the Pooh.  Maybe it is the kid in me, the one that likes puddle jumping and leaf piles, and dancing in the rain.

Red Rock Canyon Kentucky




 Autumn rocks!  It is time for pumpkin flavored cheesecakes!  Icky pumpkin flavored cappuccino-not a fan!  Seriously it is gross, you do not need pumpkin flavored everything.  But heck it comes with the season!  With sunset happening earlier, you get way more time to look at the stars.  Which is probably one  of the things I miss the most from living in Yellowstone.  You can see a ridiculous amount of stars, especially in the winter! 

Sunset at the bus barn house, La Crescent


 So YAY for fall.  I am going to celebrate the heck out of you.  I got plans for you.  So let me know when the color changes.  And hell, if I remember my camera someday at school, I might use my ungodly long break between classes to walk to the park.  I look forward to your best blustery day!  After all they are my favorite!!!

1 comment:

  1. I like listening to people who like fall. I like it enough, once I get used to it. But this past week, I had the opposite reaction as you did... I have been grumpy, dreaming of the bright sun, wishing the summer will never end. But, soon enough, I'll be joining you and getting out there and enjoying the cool days.

    ReplyDelete