Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Oh, go eat a book...

 Take a look, its in a book, a reading rainbow!
Ah, reading rainbow, I loved that show.  Hell, who didn't!  You lucky I won't link to the you tube video of the theme song.  If I did it would get stuck in my head all day!



I've been in a poetry mood lately.  Well, kind of... I've been wanting to read poetry, but haven't really had the opportunity to.  And I have to say, I've been very picky about it too.  I am in an Edgar Allan Poe mood.  Yep, you'd think it was Halloween or something.  But seriously, he has some awesome poems and short stories.









My favorite of all being Annabel Lee.  I don't know why, I think it is the movement of the words, the way they are used, the imagery.  Something draws me to that poem.  But for whatever reason, I have been wanting to get back in to the world of books.  I still read a lot, but I am a fan of biographies and other nerd books.  I seem to be picky in my fiction books.



My brother has decided that I should read Clive Cussler, a notion that has been seconded by a dear friend and former dart playing opponent.  I read one so far Pacific Vortex, I think Dirk Pitt is AWESOME!  Seriously the man has it all.  He reminds me of some kind of James Bond/Indiana Jones hybrid.  Well it works, the plot seem a bit, really, super far fetched, but hey, isn't that what makes 'em fiction.




So it is banned books week.   I was not aware that there was a banned book week, but I am totally behind it.  The premise is to read a book from the banned book list to protest (I guess) the banning of books.  Banning books is something I don't understand.  Why ban books from your school, library, kids' reading list.  I mean come on, like banning it isn't going to make people want to read it more.  That and most reasons for banning them are LAME!


 
Here is a partial list of the most banned books this decade.  The list can be found here.  Also listed are the most banned books from 1990-1999, my main schooling years.  I am still in shock over Where's Waldo being on the list.  Apparently there is a tiny uncovered breast in Where's Waldo that someone found while they should have been looking for Waldo.  And I'm betting once word got out, everyone and their dog was trying to find that boob.

While later folks, go read a book, preferably a banned one just to kick 'em in the teeth.

2 comments:

  1. I <3 Clive Cussler (or I did until I started getting sick of the same plot over and over so I had to take a break from them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them so far, but I have only read 1 and am going to start another one soon. Bobby warned me about the recurring plots, so I am prepared.

    ReplyDelete