Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Sunday, September 5, 2010

John Steinbeck and the Artichoke Queen

And since I got my home work all caught up, I don't feel bad about blogging and wasting my productive time one something so much more fun!


Cannery Row once was actually a place filled with Sardine Canneries.  Now it is filled with cheesy gift shops.  And yet I still loved it.






But they do still celebrate John Steinbeck and his books.  This map of Cannery Row, shows everything would have been.




At the Steinbeck Museum in Salinas it would have been much cooler if they had big books of John Steinbeck books, that I actually enjoyed.  I never actually finished reading this one.



 


 
Then there was the Pearl.  The book that nearly ruined Steinbeck for high school students every where.  Yeah, not my favorite, but I did see the building where he wrote it.  That was cool.



And I blame Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday for the romantic delusion that I have that it would be cool to live in an old boiler.  And yes, there would be curtains, regardless of the fact there are no windows.









And did I mention that Marlyn Monroe was once the Artichoke Queen?  Yep, true story.  Miss California Artichoke Queen 1947.

No comments:

Post a Comment