Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Across the Globe: Malaysia



Ok, since I did Singapore I guess Malaysia is next.  This one might be a two-parter.  We spent the bulk our our vacation class in Malaysia.  Primarily in Kuala Lampur.  Our stay was broken up by a short stint in the rain-forest.  I liked KL, it was a huge city, but very navigable.  It was not overwhelming in the least.









First stop was Malacca.  Oh, and tour tour guide was awesome.  There is a giant boat in Malacca, I think it is part of a museum.  We walked around the market areas, I didn't but a purse or something.  I was afraid I'd regret not getting it, but I don't.  Then we went to a Portuguese Catholic Church/mission, there were several.  Well, what was left of it.  There was a statue of St. Francis Xavier.  The cool story about this was that after Xavier died, Rome wanted proof it was him, and that his body hadn't gotten gross and decomposed.  So his hand was cut off and sent to them.  Well, when this statue was built, they put both hands on it.  But in the process of moving it, or setting it, they dropped it, and the only thing to break was the hand that Xavier was missing.


 From there we headed to KL.  Over the course of our stay we did a lot in KL. We stayed in an awesome hotel, with a pool on the roof.  We were there over New Years, half of us rung in the new year an American restaurant in KL, we wanted to have some beers and get to know each other.  The other half, well, they had an experience that they will never forget and not for the best.  We went to an elephant sanctuary, it was not my favorite place we went, but some people got to ride them.  The markets were awesome, but I am not a haggler.  It is not a skill I possess.  I liked the one market, that was more craft stuff, the knock off goods market not so much.




Ok, so malls are not my favorite place.  They are big, crowded and well, an overpriced homage to capitalism.  Not that there is anything wrong with any of that, just not a fan.  But in Malaysia we went to one gigantic mall.  The Petronas Towers are part of a mall complex.  The towers are the tallest twin towers in the world.  They were the largest until some one in Taipei built a bigger one.  We did not go up in them or to the walk way between, because that is as far as you can go, you don't have a good view.  But I did have a sour cream and onion pretzel there.








As far as towers went, we did go up in the KL Tower.  It is designed to look like a pineapple when lit up at night, that makes me happy.  The KL tower gave a great view of the city, and it overlooked our hotel!













<===Our Hotel





No comments:

Post a Comment