Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Snow Lodge Winter...Are you crazy enough?

 Gunga-ga-lunga, ~Who has more fun then we do?

Having spent two winters in the Yellowstone interior I honestly thought I would never be warm again.  It's been a year since I left the park, and I am finally warm.  Yay, just in time to take you lovely people on a trip to one of the most crazy wonderlands in the world.  A Snow Lodge winter!



For starters, there is no and I mean no wheeled vehicles in the interior.  Seriously the only traffic once you leave Mammoth Hot Springs are over the snow vehicles.  Bombardiers, snow coaches, and snow mobiles.  And cross country skiing.  Basically there is 4 or more feet of packed snow on the roads.  Which is an unfathomable amount of snow.





Being snowed in is crazy, it is not as bad as one might think.  Snow Lodge has a 3 month season, and it is possible to leave on your weekends, but I felt you had to plan way to much for it, and if the slightest thing went wrong you were screwed.  You get a little stir crazy, and we had parties all the time that might have proved that, and you get a little sick of people, but it you also bond with these people like crazy, it becomes a strange, strange family.  That you love in spite of everything, no matter how nosy, gossipy, dramatic they can be.


In spite of ourselves
We'll end up a'sittin' on a rainbow
Against all odds
Honey, we're the big door prize
We're gonna spite our noses
Right off of our faces
There won't be nothin' but big old hearts
Dancin' in our eyes.
~In Spite of Ourselves (a Snow Lodge Favorite)



And golly is it ever pretty!  A true wonderland, in all it's dangerous glory.  There are lots of things that hide below the snow.  Not to say that it is a dangerous place, but it can be if you stray too far from where you should be.  But this should not deter you from enjoying everything.  Sadly, my cross country skiing is not up to par so I never went on any amazing skis.  But I did spend a lot of time in the geyser basins.  I think geysers are ok in the summer, sweet by moonlight, and awesome in the winter.























~Chances are that I will blog about the glories and wonders of a Snow Lodge winter in the future!~

3 comments:

  1. You're not allowed to do these blog posts anymore, just like I don't let myself look at YNP pictures anymore (although I am watching the webcam right now... nerd) because it makes me want to go back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I'll try not to in the future. Somedays I have to post about YNP. But once I finish the YNP scrapbook I am putting it away for ever and never looking at it or my pics. Then I'll never want to go back either (maybe that is why it is taking me so long to finish it...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see the scrapbook, whenever you see it! And then we can reminisce and dream and never work there again :-)

    ReplyDelete