Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Light to Guide

What can a girl say about lighthouses?  Other than they rock!!!  So this love affair with lighthouses, I think it comes from my dad.  He is a history kinda guy.  He is a retired engineer, but always said if he would have fail engineering school then he would have been a history teacher.  I think he was much happier as an engineer with a history habit.  The man reads everything, coincidentally so do I (especially if it is nerdy!).  He is one of those people that can read a book and watch the history channel at the same time, and follow along.  He took us to see many a lighthouses in our younger years.  And even with a rather annoying fear of heights, I fell in love!





So I've been to a few, no where near as many as I would like.  But you can't go everywhere and you always have to save something so you can go back again.  I've probably been to a ton, I don't remember cause I was a little thing.  But in recent years, ones with a camera, I've been to some awesome ones.  The ones I have in this blog are mostly from Oregon.  There are tons, and I mean tons of them!!!!  Since we drove up the coast we stopped at most of the ones we passed.  And if allowed we climbed up to the highest towers.












I've also been to a lighthouse in Michigan recently.  Big Red I believe they call it.  You might guess that it is the red one.  That one was one of the few Michigan lighthouses I have been to and probably the only one in the lower Peninsula.  I've always kinda had a romantic view of the lighthouse keeper.  It must have been such a hard life.  Always waiting for ships, storms, never having time to yourself because the sea is a fickle mistress.











No comments:

Post a Comment