Hayden Sunset

Hayden Sunset
Hayden Valley Sunset in April

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mesa Verde!

So one of my favorite places we traveled to when I was a kid was Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado.  We traveled a lot, if you haven't noticed.  It instilled a great love a travel and adventure in me.  I love to travel, but have gotten spoiled in recent years.  I don't camp anywhere near as much as I used to.  And I like bathrooms, with running water.  But that is a whole 'nother story.  But Mesa Verde is a place that I think I love more as an adult than when I was a kid.  I understand it better, I know the history, and a look at it differently.





So I have this pesky fear of heights.  And sometimes these mountain, cliff things are not that much fun.  I remember it being scarier as a kid.  But at the same time, the ladder used to get up to balcony house was not a treat.  Balcony House is amazing, and so worth it, but you have to hike down in to the canyon a bit and then up a ladder.  These cliff dwellings are already up a really, really tall mountain, overlooking a 600ish foot deep canyon, and they needed a ladder to get into it.

These next pictures are of the cliff palace and of balcony house.









This rock was the start of the exit.  It was really narrow and short.  Then we had to hike back up, using ladders and rock stairs that were carved into the side, with a chain rail to hold on to.  We went to some of the other dwellings, they were not as difficult to get to.  We  stopped at Spruce Tree House and another one who's name I forget.





 



No comments:

Post a Comment